- The Blossom Garden Chinese Restaurant (0131 663 7796), 1 Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith. This restaurant situated in the old coach house in the heart of historic Dalkeith. It has an excellent ambiance, is friendly and well patronised by local residents and visitors alike. The food is always of a high standard, and the chef is happy to accommodate special requests if asked in advance. Price around £6 per main course.
- The Maple Inn (228-4438), 44 Grindlay Street (opposite the Usher
Hall). Beautifully prepared Chinese food. Price around £13-15 a head
- Szechuan House (229-4655), 95 Gilmore Place 55. Good Spicy
Chinese, though not too good for vegetarians. Price around
£8-15 per person.
- Chinese Home Cooking (229-4404), 21 Argyle Place (between
Sciennes and the Meadows). Cheap and cheerful, quite good cooking.
Not licensed. Prices from £5 upwards.
- China Town (662-0555), 13 Newington Road. Good cook. Relatively
respectable. Prices from £8 upwards.
- Howies (668 2917), 75 St Leonards Street; also (313 3334) 63
Dalry Road. Excellent French/Scottish food in a small intimate
restaurant. Lunch prices are £6.50-7.50 and evening meals are
- Grain Store restaurant (225 7635), 30 Victoria Street. Food
cooked to order in an interesting setting. Set lunch is £7
and evening meals about £10. Special diets (e.g. vegan)
- Merchants (225 4009), 17 Merchant Street, off Candlemaker Row.
Good French/Scottish food in a bright, attractive restaurant. Lunch
from £9-11. Evening meal prices vary.
- L'Auberge (556-5888), 58 St. Mary's Street. Expensive, but very
French, food is excellent.
- La Bonne Vie (667 1110), 49 Causewayside. Intimate restaurant
with friendly staff. Owned by a well-known local businessman. Lunch
prices are £5.50-6.50 and evening meals are around
- Pierre Victoire (225 1721), 10 Victoria Street. Crowded, good
atmosphere. 8 Union Street (557 8451). Price around £5 for
lunch, £15 for dinner (with wine).
- Bangalore Tandoori (229 1348), 52 Home St, Tollcross. Good
Indian food, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. £8-12.
- Bombay Bicycle Club (229 3839), 6 Brougham Place, off the
Meadows. Really excellent food, though not inexpensive.
- The Bungalow (229 1537), 23 Brougham Place (near
- The Verandah Restaurant (337 5828), 17 Dalry Road. They provide an innovative wine list, specially crafted to match fine wines to a popular blend of fine delicate dishes. Various prices, likely to be around £17 per person.
- Lancers Brasserie (332 3444), 5 Hamilton Place, 1 Dean Bank
Lane. Very good vegetarian food.
- Cavalry Club (228 3282), 3 Atholl Place, near Haymarket.
- The Himalaya (229 8216), 171 Bruntsfield Place. Seminal
tandoori restaurant, perfect for the definitive Friday night lads'
curry binge. A carry out service is available.
- King's Balti House (662 9212), Buccleuch Street. A good quality
Indian restaurant which has taken the usual menu and prefixed the
name of each dish with `Balti'. All dishes also seem to be served
from baltis. Unlicensed so bring your own wine or beer. Expect to
pay £10 for two courses.
- Spices Restaurant (225 5028), 110 West Bow, at the top of the
Grassmarket. Excellent food and elegant surroundings. Relatively
few vegetarian options available. Expect to pay £15 for two
- Suruchi (556 6583), 14a Nicolson Street. A variety of dishes
from all over India. Handmade linen and furniture. Prices from
- Dario's Pizza House (229 9625), 87 Lothian Road opposite
Filmhouse. Nice, clean Italian restaurant, reasonable veggie food;
- Librizzi's (226 1155), 69 North Castle Street, Edinburgh. Open Monday to Saturday 12:00-2:00 and 5:30-11:00. http://www.Librizzi.co.uk. Expect
to pay about £15 to £20. Recommended.
- Mammas (225 6464), 30 Grassmarket. Pizza cooked to your order,
not microwaved. Wide variety of toppings (including haggis!).
- Pasquales Restaurant and Pizzeria (228 3115), 169 Gilmore
Place. Inexpensive pizzas and pastas. Mr Pasquale sings while he is
- Tinelli Ristorante (652 1932), 139 Easter Road. Good Italian
cooking. Fairly respectable £11 upwards.
- The Caprice Restaurant (554 1279/2430), 327 Leith Walk (half
way down). Unpretentious and not too noisy with nice staff.
- Pachuko Cantina (228 1345), 3 Grove Street. Really excellent
Mexican food in an absolutely tiny restaurant. Unlicensed.
- Tex Mex (225 1796), 47 Hanover Street. Nice food in a very
- Viva Mexico (226 5145), Anchor Close, off Cockburn St. Variety
of vegetarian food available. Tasty, filling meals at reasonable
price. Prices from £6 to £11 per dish. A three course
meal would be around £16 to £20.
- Buntom's Thai Restaurant (557 8212), 9 Nelson Street. The first
Thai restaurant to open in Scotland. Prices vary from £10 to
- Siam Erwan (226 3675), 48 Howe Street, the continuation of
Fredrick Street. A basement restaurant with authentic Thai cuisine.
The Lab chicken is probably compulsory for all Lab members.
- Ayathuya (556 9351), 14b Nicholson Street. Small, inexpensive
Thai place with charming staff.
- Cellar Number 1 (220 4298), 1a Chambers Street. Excellent
selections of wine in a basement location. Popular with members of
the AI department.
- Marrakech (556 7293), 30 London Street. Very excellent couscous
and tagines. Warm hospitality. Very, very good. Unlicenced.
Price from £7 for two courses.
- The Shore (553 5080), 3 The Shore (Leith). Sea Food, £5-8 for main courses.
- The Tower Restaurant (0131 225 3003), Royal Scottish Museum, Chambers Street.
- The Buffalo Grill (667 7427), 14 Chapel St, opposite Appleton
Tower. Very good steak, but no licence. Ca. £10 for a good
sized steak and desert
- Carlton Highland Hotel (556 7277), North Bridge. The Carvery;
Feature: go round for unlimited second helpings, without extra
charge. £15 for 3-course meal.
- Views Restaurant, Mount Royal Hotel, Princes Street (225 7161).
Evening buffet (expensive), tea and cakes in a quiet setting, open
until 10:00 pm.
- The Queen's Hall (668 3456), South Clerk Street. Good salads.
Some nice hot dishes. Real coffee. Not cheap, but pleasant.
- Victoria and Albert (226 4562), 13a/15a Frederick Street. Old
english pub and bar. Piano music after 8:30 pm. Main course
- Parrots (229 3252), 3 Viewforth, Bruntsfield. Tiny bistro,
incredible atmosphere and music (sort of 1950s Parisian, lots of
Piaf etc). Wide range of vegetarian and British food.
- Annpurna (662 1807), 45 St Patrick Square. Vegetarian
restaurant specialising in Gujurati and southern Indian food.
Inexpensive lunches. Intensive service.
- Kalpna (667 9890), 2/3 St. Patrick's Square, off Nicholson St.
Indian vegetarian, with some vegan dishes. Prices about £10
- Banns (226 1112), Hunter Square, Edinburgh. Popular student hangout, vegetarian restaurant.
- Henderson's Salad Table (225 2131), 94 Hanover St. Nice salads,
good food, good for lunches.
- Pierre Lapin (668 4332), 32 West Nicholson St. French
Vegetarian! (£5 lunch, £8 up dinner).
- Susie's Diner, formerly
Seeds Cafe (667 8729), 53 West Nicholson Street. Wholefood vegetarian cafe
across from the Appleton Tower.
- County Hotel (663 3495), 152 High Street, Dalkeith. Excellent
- The Waterside Bistro (062082 5674), Haddington, 1/5 Waterside,
- Burnside Bistro at Howgate (0968 78341).
- The Old Howgate Inn (0968 74244), Wester Howgate (South of
Penicuik). Good open-face sandwiches, soups and sweets; excellent
beef fondue. Nice surroundings in the old inn. From £10
Other Useful Sites
Back to the LFCS User Guide