The list below details software installed on the .NET lab machines.
If you have difficulties with any of these, or there is something else
you need to use, please contact Archie Howitt.
The machines all have an identical configuration, cloned from a
binary image held on the server monet. To add new software,
Archie installs it on a clean machine, copies a new image, and then
clones that to all other machines. This makes things simple, if not
very flexible; but that's Windows. (Advertisement: for more adaptable
distributed configuration, see LCFG and related research at Edinburgh.)
- Windows XP
- Operating system. The server machine monet runs Windows 2000
- Office XP
- Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Access, Front Page.
- Visual Studio .NET
- Language-neutral integrated development environment.
- .NET SDK
- Software development kit supporting the .NET framework.
Additional .NET programming languages
- Prolog implementation for .NET, translating to C#.
- Standard ML compiler that targets the .NET common language
- Unix toolset for Windows; includes bash and all standard
- Text editor.
- Acrobat reader
- Adobe's PDF file viewer
- Postscript file viewer
- Virtual Network Computing, remote access between Windows and Unix
- Hummingbird Exceed
- X Windows server, allows Unix graphical applications to display on